Friday, March 9, 2007

Effective Powerpoint-HELP

Hi again!
I made this new post because over the march break I'm working on this power point relating to bullying/stereotyping/Columbine Highschool Massacre/AND WHAT WE CAN DO TO STOP HORRIBLE THINGS FROM HAPPENING-and I serioulsy need to have it finished by the time March break finishes! I am very very very hopefully hopefully hopefully am going to, in fact I MUST present it, with the help of dear q squred, to my own school and if possible in q square's school. Please give me some tips on how to create this power point...what should I do and do? How can I make it more effective? How can perfectly tie PREVENTING bullying/stereotyping/racism with the Columbine highschool massacre so it won't blow the ppl away? Please give me some support! I always enjoy your feedback! Thankx!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just nice and basic
Not too much colours
and to the point
Not too much text
more talking than anything

sapphire_turquoise said...

Thankx for the tips! I'll try to use them for sure!

Ms Watt said...

I agree with general s. I would also remind you to avoid making generalizations.....remember we talked about this in class??? Try to avoid words like 'everyone', 'always', etc. - you don't want to offend anyone in your audience who does not want to be grouped into a crowd. Be positive and encouraging. Try to empower your audience, not discourage.

You are courageous to be planning this at both schools and I cheer you on! Let me know if I can help in any way other than advising you here! (susan_watt@wrdsb.on.ca - is my e-mail - sorry I took so long to send it - it's also available on the website if you ever lose it again!) Good Luck!

sapphire_turquoise said...

Thankx for mentioning generalizations Ms. Watt! That is a very important one to avoid! I hate it too, when teachers generalize(like saying that we're all slacking off while I stayed till 3:30 the night before working like a computer!)

sapphire_turquoise said...

um...I didn't lose ur e-mail...I just couldn't e-mail u for some reason! THankx though! I'll check it out soon!

sapphire_turquoise said...

I just can't help it..this project has made me go crazy...the columbine massacre is so tragic I just can't remain mentally healthy...I jsut hope that somethign liek this won't ever again!
P.s. Last week some grade 6's threw snowballs and scrabed my friend's little brother's face after face because he is...very unique and different and can't speak properly. I was horrified! They got suspended of coarse!

Anonymous said...

What? What jerks! I'd sue them if I had money. Your brother has my sympathies.

Oh yes, be very, very careful about generalizations. At our Black History Month assembly, one speaker's message (though, I think, unintentionally) pretty much could be summed up as "all white people are racist." Of course, all this was due to extreme generalizations. I don't know if any teachers heard my complaint on that, but I sure hope that clean that up for next time.

And another thing- do not dwell to much on the negative. As much as it is important to realize such, if one thinks about it to much, one can become enveloped in it. Believe it or not, I thought on one thing so horrible so much I went into a state of depression for about a month. It took me a while to realize how much that was doing about the said wrong anyway. So, just so you know... watch out for yourself.

Rocking On,

Postman Craig

Anonymous said...

Oh, almost forgot: Appropriate music! C'mon, you all know that makes or breaks a PowerPoint. Just not too distracting. Make it fit with the topic or the theme of your PowerPoint template (for a synergy bonus point, work all three together!)

Rocking On,

Postman Craig

Anonymous said...

Um, it wasn't my brother, it was my friend's, and he's white. Anyhow you're excactly right about not dwelling on the horribles! Music? hmmmm...i hadn't even thought about that....

Anonymous said...

Because I can read................

Anonymous said...

what hppened to the 300 thing

Anonymous said...

took up too much space. decided to delete it. it was kinda useless anyways.

Anonymous said...

Keep about three points to a page, and don't go all-out on the transitions. I just remembered that from Business class (I actually learned something in that class!)

Rocking On,

Postman Craig

Anonymous said...

Thankx from telling me that! I have more than 3 points! I'll fix it!

Anonymous said...

Hellow, I'm back.

I don't know about music. Maybe we'll want to talk through the presentation, and music in the background will be very distractive. Though, if we are not speaking through the presentation, it is a great dicoration to have.

...and what is the 300 thing???

Anonymous said...

UR BAAAAAAAAAACK!
I'm considering the music carefully for now...u thik on it too q squared please.
p.s. the 300 thing was a post about the movie 300. i wuz a bit tired when i wrote the post and so i deleted it because it was sloppy i suppose.

Anonymous said...

It depends on how loud your music is. As long as it is very quiet (but still audible) next to your voice(s), it's fine. Also, make the song (the feel or the lyrics) somewhat match your presentation topic or look. You could even do a few seconds of music loud as a lead- in for your title scroll, and than tone it down for the rest of the presentation.

Music is fun. I love music. Music, Music, Music, Music, Music!

Rocking On,

Postman Craig

sapphire_turquoise said...

ok i'm not sure i want to do my presentation anymore. this police officer already did one on bullying but mostly cyber bullying today...so...i kinda feel hopeless...and uh..wish i hadn't dedicated so much of my time to it anymore.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. It takes us as humans several times before we get something magno-grained into our thick skulls. Yeah, that's the way it is with everyone (not all the time, but a lot of the time.) And, I know your presentation will be wonder BECAUSE of the effort you put into it. It doesn't matter that the content has/hasn't been heard, it's that you know it is important to be heard, you believe in what you are saying, and you value the experience.

So, don't give up hope- as I always say, Rock On, Soldier!

Rocking On,

Postman Craig

Anonymous said...

Thankx a lot for the words of encouragment craig! I truly feel less hopeless now! I'm going to present it-in honour of the victims of this event...and to also more about many of the things that the police officer didn't mention. Like stereotyping or isolating ppl.

Anonymous said...

That's good! Can you e-mail the presentation to me sappire? (I want to have a look at what I'll be saying.) Have you talked to your principal yet and agreed on a date to present?

OK I'll try to find a suitable music, unless you alreay have one.

Anonymous said...

the answer to all ur question q squared is: no. even the e-mailing of the project cuz it's unfinished.
SO GLAD U'VE DECIDED TO LOOK FOR SUITABLE MUSIC! I'm really stuck on that one.
p.s. I'm not sure if I'll work on it again till a bit later. It's been our new year the tuesday that just passed and we're still celebrating. I'll try my best to pass the depressing part and move on to the good stuff about how to prevent bullying and stuff.

Anonymous said...

I worked on it today. yay!